Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ranger Clone Build Part 16 Smooth Finish Prep




Before any gray primer was sprayed, the inside rear of the body tube was masked. I didn't want any thick primer on the inside of the tube to interfere with gluing the engine mount in later.






After a primer spray, 220 grit was wrapped around a dowel and ran over any high spots in the epoxy fillet.
Epoxy tends to be "self leveling" but I did have a few subtle high areas on the fillets.



These fillets took a little more time than I would have liked.
Using direct sunlight to better see the fillets, I've marked some low spots with a pencil. Two fillets required another thin pass with epoxy.

Any smooth finished model requires a good surface preparation.
All rough unfilled balsa glue blobs, epoxy strings will show through the color coats.
I'm not usually satisfied with my first results. There's always s second pass of FNF and sanding, then a second or third fillet.
The first primer coat shows all the irregularities that need attention.
More filling then more sanding.

TIP: Before color coats - critically check all your work under direct sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment