Thursday, May 30, 2013

Big Girtha Autopsy

If you missed the earlier post about my "lost" Big Girtha -
The Big Girtha is a 2 engine cluster Big Bertha built from a Quest Big Betty kit.
At the February Tampa TTRA launch it drifted away after a great boost on two Estes C6-5 engines. I had a video camera taped on and hoped to get a good video. It was found and stored in the TTRA trailer until I made it back to a launch. The camera was gone! I found out Brian U. pulled the camera for safe keeping. I hope to get the camera back soon!
The model was ruined by water, there is some water in the field.
This model is a favorite and I have two Big Betty kits upstairs. Time for a re-build - with as few improvements!

I'm salvaging as much  as I can from the weather worn Big Girtha for the re-build.

The plastic nose cone is fine and will be re-used.

The body tube was cut open.
This is the upper side of the baffle. After four flights you can see what little of the ejection charge got through on the tube walls. While I probably could have used the old baffle, I'll make a new one.




The piece of body tube used for a shock cord mount is still in place and well glued.

The nylon parachute and shock cord are in great shape and will be used again.
The two engine cluster mount had some water damage and the centering rings were de-laminating.
The black electrical tape wraps look like new. If these wraps were brown masking tape they would probably be coming off.

The only thing I can use again are the engine hooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment