Thursday, May 9, 2013

Launch! Schoolyard, May 7, 2013

Last Saturday's Orlando R.O.C.K. launch was cancelled, the field was too muddy.
With the Summer coming, today is probably the last cool day in Central Florida. 
I got out earlier than normal at 6:45 a.m. to beat the winds.


This is normally a B6-4 field, but a saucer is safe with a C6-0.
Here's one of the three Quest AREA 51 SAUCERs I recently scored on Ebay.

I was expecting it to "hover" or float down like the slightly lighter (no bottom half) Quest saucer. Boost was labored but the saucer tumbled down after apogee. Estimated altitude was around 225'.


The Custom NOMAD is a great B6-4 bird.
There is a smaller area to pressurize so I felt safe flying it with a Quest B6-4.
(The Chinese made Quest engines tend to have weaker ejection charges.)
At ejection the parachute was fully deployed.
I would guess this one peaked at 325'.





The Semroc ASTRON - always reliable and a great value in a sport rocket.
I used a 5/20 adapter and launched it with an Estes 13mm A10-3t engine.

The Semroc website says it reaches 300' with an A8-3. I would think the A10-3t got it to about the same height.




Still being "built" on this blog is the Quest RAPTOR.
I was anxious to fly it, this first flight with an Estes B6-4.

Nice slow boost with a slow turn to an estimated altitude of 275'.
This is really a C6-5 bird.







It looked like it was descending horizontally. The fins and nozzle might be damaged by a hard landing so I caught it near the upper end of the body tube.
The shock cord was wrapped around the smaller rear pad. I'm surprised it didn't break off!
No damage on recovery.


Oh Boy - free streamer material!
After the launch I was picking up wadding pieces and found some CAUTION tape. It was attached to some wire stakes, obviously kicked over by kids.
After seeing the tape I noticed a small taped area with a sign stating:
"Field Closed Until May 11" - Uh oh!

I wouldn't have flown today if there was a sign at the gate where I entered.
No, I didn't take the free streamer material.

Also Flown:
The original Odd'l Rockets SQUATTY BODY with an A10-3t in an adapter.
Textbook flight with streamer recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment