Thursday, May 23, 2013

Estes Bullpup Build Part 5, Fin Gluing

I'll be installing the engine mount in after the fins are on.
No real reason for this, I just glued the fins on first. With no engine hook on this model I won't have to center it between two fins or opposite the launch lug location.


There were no instructions so I made a fin marking guide out of a strip of paper wrapped, marked the overlap then folded into quarters.

After marking the fin positions with pencil, a straight strip of paper was taped around the rear of the tube, 3/4" from the end. The rear of the fins will be at the 3/4" top of the paper strip.

TIP: I could have simply pencil marked the body tube four times at 3/4" from the rear. I'll make one pencil mark at 3/4" then wrap the strip at that mark. The strip guarantees that all fins are exactly the same distance from the end of the tube.
After the first fin was tacked on, a strip was wrapped around the leading edge tip for alignment of the other three fins.




The same idea is used at the front for the smaller fins.

No comments:

Post a Comment