Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quest Raptor Build Part 14, Black Mask

Normally you would paint the body the lighter color then mask and follow with the darker second color.
I'll be painting the main body silver, or aluminum which I prefer.
TIP: Laying masking tape over metallic paint is never a sure thing. The masking tape can leave marks on a silver surface.
So this time I'll paint the black first, re-mask and paint the lighter aluminum.











Above left is the first mask for the black.
On the right: Doesn't the masked tail section look like the Mister Mulligan plane? I'm not saying the plane was an influence here. I just thought it was interesting.
The white undercoat is masked off to leave the lighter undercoat for the aluminum to follow.



I used clear Scotch tape for the masks.
I don't use the more expensive specialty masking tapes. If the surface is smooth (in this case, the fillet) you can get a very sharp edge.




Here's the rear section ready for the second mask.
The black fin areas will be covered and the tube areas sprayed aluminum.

No comments:

Post a Comment