Friday, August 29, 2014

Carded Downscale Black Brant VB, Finished


This was a fun, quick build and came out very well.
Using the white plastic nose cone there is no painting!
Thanks again to Peter Alway for doing all the ground work in his Scale Bash book.














It's not quite finished yet! 
The fins are only lightly tacked on for these pictures. They were removed for the flight home.
They will be glued back on and fillets applied.
Later on the small metallic band above the red nose wrap and the MPE logo were added.
The MPE logo will soon be a water slide decal. Right now it's just a paper print.
In most BT-5 based models streamers are used for recovery.

Engines? I would guess a 1/2A3-2t, 1/2 A3-4t and A3-4t would work.
I wouldn't use the A10-3t in a model this sleek and light. Save the A10 engines for heavier and bulkier models.

Want to build your own carded Black Brant VB?
Patreon members can email me at: oddlrockets@bellsouth.net
And request the Black Brant VB PDF art.

4 comments:

  1. I finished my first carded Black Brant VB and it came out fantastic thanks to your help. I'm sold on the paper and MMX builds. Partly because of a space issue (Too many rockets), and I live in the golden state (or the dry and fire prone state of) California, But mostly because they turn out great! After I finish up some space taking rockets (that will go in the kids room), I'll be working on the paper Thor and Quest X-15 (that will go in my den). I'll follow your X-15 build hope you tackle the paper Thor, but I think I learned enough from the paper Black Brant to do a decent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott!
    It's pretty surprising how strong the skinned carded rockets are, and how high they fly!
    The big trick is to keep them clean. Be sure to hit them with a good clear coat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son launched your carded Black Brant VB at a scout launch for the first time (yes since 2014). All they had was 1/2A-something engines so I grabbed one and sent him to the launch pads. This was VERY CLEARLY the highest flying rocket on that engine. Even though it had a little "caution tape" streamer, it drifted away and was lost. I'm OK with that, because I was not thrilled with my first try at this build and will happily be building this again. Perhaps 1/4A-something will be on the second gens maiden flight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I'm also very surprised how high BT-5 models can go even on a 1/2A engine. I only launch my Mosquito on 1/4A engines.

      Delete