Thursday, August 21, 2014

Plywood, Chicken Wire and Fiberglass Mercury Capsule

I went with my daughter Whitney and her boyfriend Paul to the Orlando History Center Museum on Sunday August 17. My daughter is a big fan of "Gone With The Wind". They had the touring display of movie props.

On the first floor was a small NASA space program display.
Along with plastic models of manned space vehicles there is a Mercury capsule. I had to get inside of it. The plaque states:
"This is a recreation of the actual Mercury capsule. It is constructed of plywood, chicken wire and fiberglass and is approximately 98% scale of the actual Freedom 7."

Only 98% scale? I thought the fit was a little tight.
Inside the capsule is a small TV screen where you can actually play Space Invaders.
Just like the real thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment