Saturday, February 7, 2015

Launch Lug Cutting TIPS

With Semroc's part supplies dwindling, I wasn't able to buy 3" long launch lugs for the Odd'l Rockets Sputnik kit.
I ended up buying 12" long lugs from Balsa Machining Service.
At 3" long, each 12" length would yield 4 usable lugs. You can save a little money by cutting your lugs to custom lengths.
Semroc was cutting the lugs to length with a laser. This left a brown, melted edge that had to be sanded off. I prefer to cut my own lugs. The finished look is cleaner.

Many kits have you cut a supplied lug in two.

TIP: You can't cut lugs clean without some support on the inside.

Mark your cut lengths with pencil.
Slide a 1/8" dowel inside the lug. If the dowel feels too loose you can wrap it with masking tape.


I extend the blade out beyond the end of my break off blade knife.
This gives you a longer cutting edge you can roll over the round lug.

Double check from above that your blade is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the lug.
With the dowel inside you can apply pressure as you roll the long blade over the lug. Keep the blade straight as you roll so the cut meets up on the opposite side.



Here's the end product.
This many lugs should get me through a few runs of the Sputnik kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment