Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Super Glue Drying Out? tip

Dana Eiler sent a link to this tip from Instructables: CLICK HERE

"Any kind of glue it's one of the principal tools of a maker, especially super glue, its fast and glues virtually everything.
But a problem common to all of the users its the glue drying up on the tip of the container, and we ended up throwing away on the trash and buying a new stick of super glue."

I keep my thin Super Glue in the refrigerator. One bottle can last for years!
TIP: For a slower flow applicator, I use Teflon tubing in the tip of my super glue bottles. The glue can dry in the tip preventing the glue from flowing. A guitar "B" string can be used to clear the tip.
TIP: After using the glue bottle, fold a paper towel over the Teflon tip on the bottle.
Squeeze the sides of the bottle blowing out and clearing the tube tip of any glue. Any left over glue in the tip is blown out into the paper towel. After clearing the tip, the bottle is stored in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. I take the cold storage one step further and store all my CA glues in the freezer. See my post here: http://www.rocketshoppe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14512
    I have many bottles of CA (various viscosity) that never go bad stored in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      I've never stored it in the freezer. I think the colder air extends the life of the glue in either the fridge or freezer. Keeping it cold, I've ran out of glue before it ever hardened up.

      Delete
  2. BTW, what is the diameter of your guitar 'B' string?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      The B string is from a light gauge package. Diameter is .016".
      Leave the ball end on the string for easier handling.

      Delete