Friday, February 13, 2015

Launch, Schoolyard Soccer Field, February 12, 2015

I got up an hour later than normal, arriving at the field about 8:10 a.m.
No wind, no clouds - nothing! Just a few curious kids riding their bikes to school.

I wanted to test the SPOOL a few times with booster engines.
I found a Centuri B6-0 made in 1975. I was a little apprehensive pressing the launch button but it performed perfectly!
Altitude was probably 125' with a very fast spin coming down.
The second flight was with a new Estes C6-0 to 275'. While the B6 engine performs well the C6 engine is best for this one.
A perfect small field flyer.


Speaking of models that don't tumble - 

I flew the small Estes MOSQUITO with a 1/4A3-3t.
I would guess the altitude would be 175'. Anything this small looks like it goes much higher.
With the clear skies I was able to follow the entire flight. At ejection I thought I was following the ejected engine but it was the rocket. It nosed in and dug itself into the soft grass.



The carded down scale BLACK BRANT VB was next up with another 1/4A3-3t. I thought I had loaded a 1/2A.
Altitude was still respectable at 150'.
This one has a long streamer for a BT-5 model. No damage on recovery.







My best flight and catalog launch picture of the day was the Estes PATRIOT with an Estes B6-4.

Textbook flight with an altitude around 300'.
No damage on recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment