Friday, February 13, 2015

TLP Pershing #K046 Build, Part 34, Thinner Pad Problem

Did you ever have one of those kits you just can't get right?
This is not a problem with components supplied with The Launch Pad kits. It comes from me trying to enhance and add to a perfectly fine kit. I've spent some time correcting my errors.

When I went back to thin the thickness of the fin vane pads I had to press the assembly against some 220 grit wrapped around the BT-100 tube.

I held the edges with my fingers and ended up crushing the sharp ends of the pad sides! It wasn't that noticeable until I sprayed a light coat of white. The balsa vanes were softer than I thought.
On the left you can see the rounded side edge. Look close at the inset picture and you can see the crease in the balsa.

Now I've got to go back and build up the corner edge with some white squadron putty. CWF probably wouldn't stick to the paint sealed surface.

White Squadron Putty was applied, the edges re-sanded and squared. In the picture at the right you can see the white putty along the edge.
Squadron Putty was used because it has solvents that will get into and stick to a sealed surface. This putty sands easily with 400 grit.
Another coat of primer filler and more sanding.
Then maybe I can lay down a new white undercoat. Aaaaaack!

No comments:

Post a Comment