Saturday, January 26, 2019

Canopy Carving, Part 1

Here's an older post that has been sitting in the "draft" pile.
This canopy was carved to make a Goony X-15 from a BT-60 and Quest X-15 kit parts.




I always enjoyed carving neckerchief slides when I was a Boy Scout. I didn't know then that I was carving basswood.
Basswood is fun to carve if you have a sharp knife.

I'll be copying the canopy from the Quest X-15 kit. I might want to make a mold for some vacuform canopies later on.

On card stock a half profile was drawn. I'm just trying to get it close, it doesn't have to be exact.



I didn't have any basswood blocks so some 1/8" thick pieces were laminated with wood glue. The glued pieces were allowed to fully dry under some heavy plexi-glass. TIP: Gluing up pieces under glass allows you to see if the pieces have slipped out of line.




The half profile shape was drawn on the top of the glued up block. Draw a center line down the wood block
Line up the center line and draw one side. Flip over the template and draw the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment