Thursday, January 10, 2019

The BIG FIX - New Way Firecat 4, Part 1




From the December 1, 2018 R.O.C.K. launch:
"When I picked it up I noticed one of the upturned fins had torn off. A dent in the nose cone assembly told me it was hit from a snap-back ejection. The fin wasn't found anywhere near the landing area."





A new fin was cut from some tight grained 3/32" balsa.

Notice the notch in the TTW fin tab. There is two wraps of electrical tape over the engine hook so the root edge had to be fitted.

The torn area on the body tube was sanded as smooth as I could get it.


At first I tried rubber bands thinking the pressure could hold the fin as the glue dried.
The rubber bands didn't work, they pulled the fin to one side or the other.







Titebond M&TG was used for a wide fillet that could cover the torn body tube area. Two fillet runs were applied.
400 grit was wrapped around a Q-tip for round cushioned sanding.

Tomorrow - Masking and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment