Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Estes Vanguard Eagle, Kit # 2193, Part 4, Fin Can


The plastic fin can is made up of four side pieces.
The four fins are in halves, split right down the middle. (See the next picture.)
When all four sides are glued up it makes a very strong fin can.

Look close to the sides of the centering ring to see the ridges in the fin can piece. The centering rings glue into the ridges.


I applied Beacon Fabri-Tac glue inside the ridges and pressed the centering rings in.

When gluing the second, third and fourth sides on, wrapped rubber bands applied pressure to hold everything tight.

Notice the open halves of the fin.



The fin halves were gently opened and some liquid plastic cement brushed in.
Liquid cement dries fast so clothes pin clamps were quickly put on.






Three of the four sides were butted tight together. When the fourth side was pressed in, there was a slight gap. This will be filled before painting.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I have build many model rockets and I would like to see an alternative paint job for the Comanche-3, as could Odd'l Rockets do a Mega Der Red Max kit?

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin,
      I don't know what to recommend on the alternative Commanche 3 paint decor. How about the Centuri T-Bird colors/ http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/73cen042.html
      Odd'l rockets really deals in low power rockets, nothing big. I wouldn't want to steal a copyrighted design and decals. I'm surprised other clone kit producers haven't received a letter from Estes lawyers. The only kit I've (sort-of) copied was the Birdie. I have written permission to make the kit.

      Delete
  2. Neat fin unit. (One of my favorite kits is the old Estes Saros.)

    I am kind of surprised that Estes ever did the X-Prize kits. Lots of custom (and it seems one-time use) molded parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      I agree - I doubt they'll never use these molds again. This Vanguard Eagle isn't really an attractive model.

      Delete