Friday, January 25, 2019

Estes Vanguard Eagle, Kit # 2193, Background

Estes produced a series of models based on the XPrize rocket entries in 2005.

From the XPrize website:
"Since 1994, XPRIZE has designed and launched seventeen prizes in the domain areas of Space, Oceans, Learning, Health, Energy, Environment, Transportation, Safety and Robotics. 

Our first XPRIZE, the $10 million Ansari XPRIZE for private spaceflight, spurred an industry and created exponential breakthroughs.
Each of these prizes has created an industry-changing technology that brings us closer to a better, safer, more sustainable world."


I still see Reubicons and an occasional Lucky Seven at club launches. I've never seen the Estes Vanguard Eagle kit before this build. To find the original kit listing go to page 36 of the 2005 Estes catalog: CLICK HERE
Dr. Zooch did bring out a limited run of a Vanguard Eagle kit. I built one for the Vanguard Eagle development team.





Here's some face card information.
Does anybody cut these out for collecting or reference?








I don't remember where I picked this one up. The original owner bought it from Hobby Lobby. I may have got it from an Ebay lot purchase.

5 comments:

  1. A neat kit with lots of unique parts, right? Oughta be a Good Time. Then, you get a peek at those nasty, 1/4" thick plastic stickers and do a big Face Palm. Thank heavens that Estes Era is in the rearview.
    I'm curious to see how you deal, Chris. Are you gonna redraw them, and do a home print? Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy123,
      I'll redraw some of them and use the wrap-on stickers. Some of the small sponsorship logos aren't found online so a scan will have to do.

      Delete
    2. The worse part will be the masking! The small round "nose cones" on the fin can will be tough.

      Delete
  2. I'm reminded, now, Chris, of my Estes GBU-24 Paveway. There's so many neat details in the rocket that I could've gotten away with masking and painting a couple yellow bands at the top of the main BT, spraying clear, and callin' it awesome. Alas, I insisted on applying the stickers, and now the thought of the military stencil detail that's not even laying flat on the forward BT-20 is haunting me just like the Telltale Heart under my floorboards.
    At least I'll know better when I approach the detailing of my nicely-built Estes Cluster Bomb from the same Patriotic Missile Series.
    Oh, my! I forgot that I've got an X-Prize 18mm SpaceShipOne in the works that I put really clean epoxy fillets on along the two main wings. There's no way those included cockpit stickers will conform to the nose cone! To keep it short, Chris, I'm following intently. Just scan & print on waterslide paper, right?
    I just need some good practice. KUTGW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy,
      I forgot about the GBU-24 Paveway. I drew up new decals for that one, except for some reason I used the round circle stickers on the fins.
      I remember the stickers not staying on the smaller R2D2 model nose.
      I started working on the Vanguard Eagle decals last night. I'll probably use the stickers on the adapter and body stripes. Masking the half round "nose cones" on the fin can will be tough!

      Delete