Sunday, January 6, 2019

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., January 5, 2019

First launch of the new year!
Everyone was expecting wind and a soggy field from the rain the night before. I picked models that might do well in wind on the small field. There was wind, but nothing a streamer or spill hole could remedy.
There were many more cars than normal, the Scouts joined us today. Our club President Brian delegated the first four bank of launchers for the Scouts. That left eight pads for the club members.


My first launch was a stretched Quest Cobalt, renamed ORANGE. This was its 17th launch since it was built in 2012.
The sooty German Quest A6-4 got it to an estimated 250'. The streamer didn't eject and stayed in the hollow nose cone. No damage as it landed on the soft grass.

Next to my Orange rocket is an Odd'l Rockets F-16 beautifully built by Jim Little.




The Estes MINI MARS LANDER was next with an A10-3t to an estimated 150'.
Very stable and no damage after the streamer recovery.

The Estes GYROC turned in a high boost with and Estes A8-3.
There was a slow spin on the way up. A loud pop at ejection and a fast spin followed. With the wind there was drift and it touched down in the adjacent field.
The nose was buried in the grass, no damage.
The Semroc POINT dragged its way to a 325' altitude with a Estes C6-3 engine. To quote the Centuri catalog: "Build it, watch it fly . . . and wonder why?"
Stable with a clean eject. The tethered engine casing brought it back under the "rigid chute" recovery.

All was good until it hit the paved street. Luckily the only damage was a blunted nose cone point.
Because of the wind forecast I picked models that wouldn't drift or I wasn't afraid of losing. Such is the MPC X-2 INVADER.
This Chinese "Sky" kit sports the Marvin Martian decor. The Estes B6-4 probably got 300' altitude. I had cut a rough spill hole in the 12" parachute but it still ended up 200 yards away. The MPC kit included a 18" Marvin Martian styled parachute. Too large a chute for this design.

Five up, five recovered. No damage except a blunted nose cone on the Point. Lunch at Del Taco followed with more rocket talk. A fine start to the new year.

5 comments:

  1. Outstanding flight report and photos, Chris! Here's to many more in an Outstanding 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great weekend to launch - I put 9 up, 9 down with nothing more than a cracked fin, couple of long walks and a baptism in the farm pond for the Star Orbiter. I’ve only flown my MPC Phase 2s on C motors, next time maybe I’ll try a B. Nice flight report Chris - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Nine launches in one session? I'm lucky to get five up! Good for you!
      MPC says it only gets to 260 feet with a C engine. It'll get much higher than that! A B6-4 is a good small field engine for this rocket.

      Delete
  3. Took better part of 2 hours, just me, the rockets and a big cow pasture with a pond. Doubt I’d be able to do that many rockets at a club event. Last time I launched there the landowner helped shag rockets on his four wheeler, this time it was all me since he was watching football. Last time I’ll put a Super Big Bertha up on the minimum recommended motor - way too close to being a ballistic flight path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      It would probably take me longer than the two hours for 9 launches.
      A few years back I tried a Centuri Centurion with an A8-3 and probably had the same result you did!

      Delete