Thursday, January 10, 2019

Estes Orbital Transport, Kit #K-42, Part 20, Orbital Glider Decals





Looking down from the top, the second "Astron Aerospace Lines" decal was placed.








Normally I can coax a decal around a nose cone. Here I'm rolling a wet Q-tip over the decal to work out the wrinkles. Not this time!

I had to make a small slice with a new razor blade on the wrinkle. This allowed a little overlap and it flattened out. Usually you can only slit a smaller decal.
I use Sharpies, a lot!
I used a wide soft point marker for the inside and a finer point pen for the edge trim. I may have to go back over the edge with some white to clean things up.

This did seem to give a dark black, when I take it out in the direct sunlight I'll be able to see how opaque it is over the white paint.



Done!
Well, the orbital glider anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel,
      It doesn't show up in the pictures here, but the glider wing and rudder show some grain. I wanted to keep it as light as I could for a better glide.

      Delete
  2. How did you find an original kit with the balsa nose pieces? I recently purchased this kit to rebuild it as my original one was in terrible shape. When I opened the new kit it has plastic nose pieces and is quite a bit larger than the original. I am curious as to where you found the original kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      This wasn't a kit, but a clone build from instructions and fin templates plans found on JimZ's website: http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-42.pdf.
      Your original kit was BT-50 and BT-20 based. The more recent Estes kit is an upscale, BT-55 and BT-50 based.

      Delete