Friday, April 22, 2011

DFR Tech Delta II Build Part 9 SRM Nose Cones


I know, I should have rounded the SRM nose cones before filling and spraying the primer.

I referred to a few Internet pictures of the Delta II to get the nose cone shape. See HERE

I sanded off the tip from one nose cone to use as a master for the other eight cones. I wanted to be sure they were all consistent in length and shape.

The nose cone to the left is the master, that tip has already been sanded off.

With the cones in their body tubes, I set them side by side being sure the ends of the tubes are aligned.

The second cone (on the right) was sanded down to match the tip height of the master. I made sure to stop sanding when I reached the top of the left, lower master cone.



Here's the progress from left to right.

1. Left: Sanded down, squared tip.
2. Middle: Rough rounding of top using 220 grit.
3. Right: Final smoothing with 400 grit.

No comments:

Post a Comment