Thursday, April 21, 2011

LAUNCH! Scoolyard, April 20, 2011


It's a little before 8:00 a.m. and already HOT!
No breeze at ground level yet.

To test the system the MMX ZOOM BROOM was up first.
Vertical boost and nose blow recovery.
There was a little drift, it landed 50 feet from the launcher.





My Quest POWERED FLIC flew next with an A10-3t engine.
While the boost was straight up, it drifted into a small parking lot on a streamer, 100 yards away.
The cardstock fins were bent up a bit. It's repairable with a few pieces of scotch tape.




The CORKSCREW did corkscrew, or spiral on the way up.
After boost on an A3-4t there was too much drift on that streamer for me.

It landed over 10' up in a tree that bordered the soccer field.
After the launch, Austin (see below) climbed up on his golf cart to get it out of the tree. Thanks Austin! You saved me a return trip with my retrieval pole.



Here's Austin pressing the launch button so I could (hopefully) take some better pictures.
My carded PATRIOT didn't have a stable boost!
It flew horizontal and ejected on the ground.

Check the inset picture and you can see how much nose weight was added during construction. It has flown stable before!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris:

    Just letting you know that the Boy Scouts supplier is now down to A8-3s and 1/2A3-4Ts. You had best get those mini's while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    Thanks for the update. I'm tempted, but after buying some clearance bulk packs, I've got enough engines to last a few years!

    ReplyDelete