Saturday, April 9, 2011

Starlight Jayhawk Build Part 21 Nose Cone Masking

The old Centuri instructions have you paint the entire nose cone black.
After it dried, you stick the top into the engine mount then spray the entire rocket orange/red.
I'm not convinced that's the best way to go. Painting orange over the black won't give a good color match of the orange body.
But how do you mask the top of a nose cone?
Here's the best solution I could come up with.

I found an extra Quest centering ring that would almost slide down to the black/white separation line in the nose cone.

I wrapped 150 grit sandpaper around the barrel of a Sharpie pen and used that to widen the inside hole.



I didn't want a fuzzy edge along the sanded inside edge so I applied CA to give me a harder surface to sand smooth.







I switched over to 400 grit, sanding at an angle to match the nose cone contour better.
Notice there is a card ridge under the bottom of the ring. I concentrated on keeping the top inside edge smooth and flat.
The wider ridge at the bottom will help give a better seal.

4 comments:

  1. I did this more like how you did your Mini Honest Nose cone mask. I changed it a bit as I would print a skinny shroud, place wax paper on that, then tape on that. I would cut out the tape shroud (through all three layers - you would often do this on glass) and apply that 1/8" to 1/4" thick shroud on the rocket - leveling with a tube or ring like you have above. Then I would build out with tape and plastic bag to cover the rest of what I did not want painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      This post was done before I figured out a better way. Both Centuri and Estes printed a method like this, usually a body tube stuck on the nose cone tip. The results were okay, but never perfect.

      Delete
  2. Well, I guess you did the mini honest john a year after this - in 2012. Any more current (2016) suggestions on how to paint a nose cone mask like the this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing new on the nose cone masks. For now, the thin curved tape strip seems to work the best for me.

      Delete