Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old OOP MPC Launcher & Controller Part 4

Now, onto the launcher itself.
This is an amazing piece of work!

It's quite a bit larger than the Estes or Quest equivalent.
I figured out why the white wires were cut, stripped and bare.
These connect up to the gantry!
Simply bend the springs until the coils open up, then insert the bare wire.

Years back, launcher cable was like lamp wire. thicker and heavier.
When you connected up an igniter, you had much more cable weight trying to pull the igniter out of the engine. This gantry took the wire weight off the igniter.

Notice how the wires sit, almost suspended. Like this, they would pull away from the engine at ignition!

Check out the ceramic blast deflector.
I based my Odd'l Rockets BLAST product on this MPC launcher feature. No shorted clips!
This also deflects the flame away and prevents any flashback that could scorch a balsa fin.

I don't think the round metal deflector is original. It looks like it was hand cut from a thin metal coffee can!

Here's another great feature of the launcher. When I opened the range box, I almost threw away the purple dowel. As it turns out, it was part of the wind direction and launch angle feature.
The plastic arrow sits on the end of the sharpened, purple dowel. I set the launcher up for pictures on my patio. The arrow was easily turning and reacting to the wind direction.



Here's the other, lower side of the angle adjustment.
Turn the wing nut loosening the dowel hold. Slide the dowel and raise the leg. Tighten the wing nut and you are ready to launch into the wind.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... your purple dowel isn't original either. :) My MPC launcher has a yellow plastic part to hold the wind direction arrow and provide the launch angle adjustment. The dowel probably works better that the plastic does, though. I think I've still got the original instructions somewhere ... let me know if you'd like a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be right! The purple dowel does fit and work very well considering it's just a sharpened stick.
    Tim, I'd like to see the instructions if you run across them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plastic part has a little flat foot on it to keep it from sinking into soft ground. That foot fits into a recess molded into the base of the launcher leg when the launch angle is set to "zero." I'll dig out the instructions first chance I get and scan them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim,
    Looking at the bottom of the tilt adjustment leg, I can see there is a cut out area for that "flat foot" you are referring to.
    That flat foot (to prevent sinking into the soft ground) is just another small, but smart feature of the launcher.
    Maybe I'll make one a (closer to original) stick out of plastic and paint it yellow.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dozens of these launch pads for sale. Mine came from a defunct Canadian model rocket company ( Canaroc). How about $10.00 each plus shipping.
    Warren Collins
    306-954-3434

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren, do you still have any of the MPC Launch Pads?

      Terry

      Delete