Friday, November 11, 2011

LAUNCH! Schoolyard, November 10, 2011


I haven't been able to get to a section launch or do a "Lone Wolf" launch in two weeks!
Every time I'd get up early enough the wind was already blowing.
With the recent time change I was at the schoolyard at 6:30 a.m.


The new Quest STRIKER was first up with an Estes B6-4. I would guess the altitude was around 325 feet at the parachute ejection.


When I picked it up I noticed a fin had broken off!
I walked the direction of where the wadding landed and found the fin along the way.
I can only assume it was hit with the nose cone at ejection.
You can see how it broke off at the plastic reducer. The instructions tell you to glue the fins on with medium CA, it didn't hold!
The upper strake (balsa glued to the tube) held strong!



The RAISIN' MAIZE flew well with an A10-3t engine. Altitude
was an estimated 225 feet.

Full 6" parachute deploy and recovery.






The Odd'l Rockets UP! CUP was launched with a C6-3.
I rarely fly anything above a B engine in this small field, but I felt safe with this odd ball.

Stable, true and no damage after aero-brake recovery.


Also flown:
The ASP WAC CORPORAL with a MMX engine. Great altitude and streamer deploy. Maybe 100 feet altitude.
My new MINI BERTHA with an MPC 1/2A3-5m engine. This was a rebuild after losing the last one launched with an A3-4t engine. After a 400' boost, the streamer ejected.
It drifted out of the field, over the road and into the townhouses! As I was running towards it I lost sight of where it landed.
Luckily, a woman was walking her dog and saw it landed on the grass between the buildings.

2 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same kind of fin break when my Striker crashed! Solid strake, detatched main fin area. Happened to the red fin, which was worse for cosmetic repair!

    Sorry to see your Striker broke. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray,
    Yeah, I don't think any medium CA would help glue those fins to that hard plastic reducer.
    The repair has been made, I used epoxy and it feels much stronger. I should've used epoxy in the first place.

    ReplyDelete