Saturday, November 5, 2011

Quest Striker AGM Build Part 9 Nose Cone Mask




The tip of the nose cone is painted red, the mask line is about 2 1/2" down.
I'll use the same masking technique from the Mini Orion nose cone.
At 2 1/2" down, the nose cone diameter is about 0.60".






This measurement was plugged into the transition tool at
http://www.payloadbay.com
The second wider measurement was .75". This measurement isn't that important but is needed to print out a arc for mask cutting.


This was template was taped to the outside of my glass patio door. You might call it a poor man's light table.

The door was shut leaving the template on the other side of the glass.
Clear Scotch tape was applyed over the smaller arc (to the right side) and cut down the black line.

This picture shows the tape already cut and stuck to the glass beside the template.

Cut the tape a little longer than the ends of the arc so you'll have an overlap when applying it to the nose cone.

2 comments:

  1. So all I have are double paned windows and it's was too hard to make an accurate cut. So I took my template and put wax paper over it (taped on my cutting board); then I put my tape over that. I could see and cut the template image easily over the wax paper and tape mask. I also turned the tape over itself just outside the "tab" end, so I could peal the tape off the wax paper. Now I have a tape template that is ready when I'm ready to spray the nose. Thanks for the great links and ideas that get me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Scott!
    It never occurred to me about trying to see the image through a double pane window. Glad you found a solution. The waxed paper is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete