Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Semroc Defender Build Part 9 Fin Strips

The fin strips are white and go between the three internal engine mount tubes. I would guess the Centuri designers were trying for a Saturn 1B look.

These fin strips will be painted white before assembly and slid between the shorter ST-16 tube at the bottom and the longer ST-16 tube at the top.

The picture at the right shows the position of the strips without the ST-16 segments over them. I set them down this way to mark for the mask.
The strips fit about 1/8" under the upper, longer ST-16 tube. the top and bottom of the strips are masked off for a better gluing surface.

Here's the masked strips set on end for the white spray.
I haven't sanded the strips height to fit under the ST-16 tubes yet.
When they are ready to slide into place, I'll just sand down the bottoms (the root edge that faces in) until I get a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment