Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Build Detail Prep


Sometimes when you pull pieces off the sticky side of a masking tape board, the paint and tape goo leave a uneven edge.

Sand down the flat bottom of the detail pieces and fin root edges with 400 grit on a block.



You'll get a better fit of the S-IV APMs if you contour the bottom to match the curve of the body tube.

I've wrapped some 400 grit around a scrap BT-50 and sanded the body tube curve into the bottom.

The instructions don't say what color to paint the S-IV APMs.
I'll follow the other Saturns I've built before and paint them silver.
Or, I should say aluminum. Aluminum on the engine bell assemblies, fins and the APMs.

The Zooch folks recommend Testors 1180 Steel paint. A trip to the hobby store and I only found it in small, brush on bottles. I can never get an even surface with brush on paints.
TIP: I compared the Testors Steel color nest to the Testors Aluminum.
The Steel color was just slightly lighter than the Aluminum. The difference was so slight, I'll go with the spray Aluminum.



The five engine bells and two S-IV APMs were stuck down on a board and sprayed with the aluminum paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment