Wednesday, December 5, 2012

FlisKits Triple Threat Build Part 3 Sticky? Uh- Oh!


Before going any further,
The problems I had with the "Crack and Peel" self adhesive print is not directed at FlisKits. Everything I've ever built from FlisKits has been great!

My problem was the adhesive on the peel and stick prints. This kit has probably been stored for a few years. The adhesive was old. I couldn't get the print side to release from the backing! After almost ruining one left side fin plate, I knew there had to be a better way.

I could have simply glued the plates to the balsa sheet.
I was concerned about the end thickness of the fins and the increase in weight.
These saucers fly to 50 - 75 feet. With the extra weight of the backing paper the altitude might only be 40 - 65 feet!

On all the remaining self adhesive parts, I ended up sanding off most of the backing with 220 grit on a sanding block.
This took a while as I didn't want to sand too far or have high and low spots.
I sanded until the printing (on the other side) was just starting to show through from the back.

Note: These pictures go back and forth between two different saucer builds. Most of the construction is the same. The fins shown above were the first fin plates I cut. I made the adjustments for the borders on the second set as explained in the previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment