Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Build Step 2 Engine Mount

The engine block was dry fitted, slid down onto the engine hook without glue.
After I'm sure it's in the right place, a fillet was applied using a Q-tip.

I'm not a big fan of BT-20 tubes, they are a little thin especially in an engine mount.
As powerful as some ejection charges are I decided to coat the inside of the tube with white glue. The glue was spread evenly using another Q-tip.
I only coated the area above the engine block.


This is the finished mount.

The lower centering ring is glued 1/8" from the end of the tube.
The upper ring was glued 1/2" down from the top.

2 comments:

  1. The glue ahead of the engine is a very good idea. I've had too strong or bad ejection charges do some damage in the past. You may even consider a piece of BT-20 coupler in front of the engine as insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    I seem to be reinforcing more models these days.
    If you want to see it done really well, check out the Semroc RTB series. Those kits have an internal tube for the heat of the ejection charge.

    ReplyDelete