Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New Cameras!

I finally bought a key chain camera at the last Tampa TTRA launch.
It's amazing that a Estes Cineroc sold for $19.95 back in the 1970s. This keychain camera sold  for $20.00 in 2013!
Digital SD cards are so much easier than that Super 8mm film!

There are four buttons on the camera, the two on the narrow end aren't functional, just raised areas molded into the case.
The two buttons closest to the bottom wide end operate the camera. The button on the left is the power on and off, the right button starts recording.
The lens is the small hole facing down near my pinky finger.

In a phone call to a rocket client, I learned this was designed as a spy camera, meant to look like a key chain remote that could unlock your car doors. Spy camera? - something that obvious didn't even occur to me.

Here's my new camera, a Nikon S9200. It's got an 18X zoom, my old Canon only had 5X.
It's not the new model, I didn't need a GPS, this years new feature on the 9400 and 9500.
I wanted a camera that could shoot in a "burst" mode, this one takes pictures at 7 frames per second. I thought it'd guarantee better launch pictures. After four launches, I haven't got the ideal settings figured out.

Like new software for your computer, there are so many features I'll probably never use them all.
I tend to use Macro (for close-ups), Auto and eventually the Burst mode. I usually shut off the flash for most indoor shots and adjust the brightness in editing.

3 comments:

  1. where did you get your camera?, we have a lower-res one and i want to upgrade to something in HD, too many confusing choices on Ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought mine from the range store at last month's Tampa TTRA from Rockets R Us.
    The web page and specs are at:
    http://www.rocketsrus.com/electronics.html
    I don't know if this would be considered a hi-res or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want a key chain camera that records in real HD, get the: 808 #16 camera from ebay. It costs $50, but it's the best :-)

    ReplyDelete