Saturday, February 9, 2013

New Space X Falcon 9 Body Tube Wrap

A client has asked me to build another Space X Falcon kit.

If you follow the blog, you know I've tried this once before.
The build went fine until the long body wrap had to be attached. It was a thin adhesive backed sticker that had to be wrapped around the body tube.
I tried twice with results I wouldn't send out to a client wanting a clean build.

After I complained to the Space X people, they sent out a body tube with the wrap installed.
Even the Space X people couldn't get it right! It was wrinkled and crooked.
I sent the client a refund for the price he paid for the kit. I was out money and time on this one.


Here's the new version of the kit with the wrap already in place.
You can see body tube seams through the wrap.
Above the "S" is a speck of something that is raising the wrap surface slightly.  

On the back the horizontal lines don't match up.

Still, it looks better than the sticky wraps I applied!


Check out how thick this tube is!
I've never seen in a kit tube with a wall thickness like this.

The first run of the Space X kits had standard BT-60 tubes.
BT-60 tubes have a wall thickness of .021"

This kit's tube wall is around .050"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment