Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Letter Worth Posting

A letter from Andy that sizes up what we've all been through building rockets:

Hi,
I am a long-time follower of your blog and really enjoy it.  I have been in and out of the rocketry hobby since the mid 1970's.  I jump back and forth between rocketry and plastic model building. 
Anyway, here is my question:  
Have you ever gone through periods where you seem to screw up every model you try to build?  Even the simple ones!  It is like my skills just disappear!  
I look and the rockets on the shelf that built and they look pretty good (no ego intended), then I look at my latest skill level 1 or 2 that I just can't get a handle on!  

Am I the only one to go through this? 

All the best,
Andy 
Memphis, TN
_________________________________________________________________________

Hi Andy,
Thanks for writing.
Oh yeah - we all have streaks where things don't go well.

I can equate this with playing the violin. I sold mine!
After playing violin for years my ear got better, almost to the point where I couldn't play double stops (two note chords) without cringing.
Same thing with rockets. 
The more builds you do, the better (and pickier) you get judging your own work.

And there are new challenges - 
I had a bad batch of Gloss White Rustoleum 2X where every can I bought shot out cottage cheese. Luckily it sanded off pretty easily and the newer cans are better.
Estes changes their "balsa" to Tung wood, that changes things.
Body tubes are not the quality they once were. Some weaker tubes now have wide inside spirals.

I try for clean builds and paint. But, you have to draw the line somewhere.
The "perfect" finish won't be perfect after a few flights.
On the other hand, a well built and finished model will last through many more flights. 
The repairs on a better build are easier to fix.

I like to think I'm making forward progress on each new finished and flown model.
Sometimes it feels like a step back. The next build could be a step forward. 

Good luck on that next build,
Chris Michielssen
Odd'l Rockets
Anybody recognize the "Mailman Art" at the top right?

2 comments:

  1. I used to try and make each build perfect too, resulting in a lot of half finished models and rockets. Eventually I came to realize a completed model with a few flaws was better than one that was never done. As for the rockets, if you fly them they will get some damage or rocket rash, so I came to accept flaws in them too. When they get enough damage I completely rebuild them or use the parts for other builds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually try to finish all the models I start, there are a few that haven't seen paint yet. I couldn't get the card stock fairings on the TLP Phoenix right. It was set aside until I figure it out. That was five years ago!
    The builds you see on the blog - I build two models at the same time. One is always a little better than the other. I fly the rougher model. The better of the two gets sold on Ebay.
    I've rebuilt a few. But those really have to be sturdy favorites.

    ReplyDelete