Friday, June 20, 2014

Mexico, the Last Straw!

MEXICO, Tulum Resort
June 19, 2014

My talent agency contact was told last Friday about the shocks I felt when playing the Tulum show on June 12.
Matt (Juggler) said he was shocked twice when he did his show on Monday, June 16. (His Vocoder unit is now fried from a power spike and won’t even power up.)
The Tulum resort entertainment lead (Orlando) was emailed last Friday about the electrical shocks.

I arrived on the 19th, ate a fast meal and started setting up my equipment.
Before plugging anything in I asked the sound man:
“How’s the electrical?” He said: “It’s good!” I took that as: “It’s been looked at and fixed”
I was crouched down near the receiver, he was standing.
“Which XLR cable should I use for the receiver?”
He pointed to one of the three cables.

I picked up the end of the XLR cable and felt 120 volts.

The pain ran up my left arm and threw my head back like a whiplash.
You read about not being able to release a cable or “hot” wire.
I was able to let it go but it was thrown and not dropped.

I was stunned. It took the entertainment crew a moment to realize what had happened.
I sat down and felt like I would throw up. I felt twinges in my jaw. I had no gripping strength.

Calls were made and the three resort medical reps showed up 10 minutes later. They gave me oxygen and took my blood pressure. She said my blood pressure was very low.
I filled out an accident report and didn’t sign any releases.
They suggested I go to the Hospital. I didn’t want to go. I was angry but kept my cool.

Two resort electricians showed up to check the system after I got hit!

I started feeling a little better and stood up. I walked toward my driver and felt dizzy. I went to the lobby and sat down for 20 minutes.

What amazed me was the show went on! They had a dozen kids on stage dancing.
There are imbedded lights set into the stage floor. Those lights had better not be on the same circuit as the mixer power outlets.

One of the medical staff insisted I should go and get a check up at the Tulum Hospital.
I was tired and noticed pain in the base of my left thumb. The roots of my teeth and eyes hurt like a very bad sinus headache. I never get headaches, but this was a big one.

My driver, a resort rep and I drove 10 minutes to the Hospital in Tulum.
All the nurse did was take my blood pressure again. The pain in my hand was now spreading to my thumb tip and the inside of my left arm. She gave me a prescription for pain pills and B vitamins.
She said the pain in my hand and arm was normal after a large electrical shock and suggested an EGK. She also said a “stress ball” might help with movement.

I never saw or heard anything from the resort entertainment staff lead.
He’s setting a very poor example for his employees. He screwed up big and knows it.

We got in late. The agency rep wanted to talk tonight but I need a night’s sleep to cool off.
Tomorrow (Friday) is my day off.

My driver should be commended. He went above and beyond to help me to and from the hospital.

STRIKE THREE!

7 comments:

  1. The two sayings, "Trust your instincts" and "Cut your losses and run" combined makes a lot of sense. Good that you weren't seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guessing there is no equivalent to OSHA in Mexico...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have walked away after the first shock. No gig is worth (literally) risking your life for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, never would have thought you'd need hazard pay in your profession. I am glad you are OK and here to make this post. I hope strike 3 means that you are outta there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - that's not phantom power... Glad you're relatively OK... I once got hit with either 120v or 220v from a bad ground on an old-school movie projector (two projectors + changeover box). I was told that I flew backwards about 6 feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,

    Electrically burns are nothing to take lightly. If you are able to move your wrist and fingers around, then you may be ok. But if you notice any discoloring around your fingers or arm, or you have pain in that hand or arm, stop what you're doing go home and see a doctor. Hopefully, a doctor who has experience with electrical burns. Keep a log of your symptoms so you can share that with the doctor. You should probably see a doctor when you get home anyway. As my mother liked to tell me when I was a kid, “Better to be safe, than sorry.” Hope everything works out for you and it's nothing serious.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seem to be okay, just shook up that night.
    I made sure to get copies of all the reports and other paperwork.
    Movement seems to be normal, but there was some hand and arm pain initially.
    I've refused to work that venue again and have been re-scheduled to other rooms.
    I'm cutting my Mexico contract short by one month. I was trying to be the good guy and give them time to find another replacement act.
    Never again!

    ReplyDelete