Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quest Aurora Build, Part 10, Booster Decor Bands




The booster body was an easy mask.
Mask off 1" from the top of the body tube.
Paint the upper area tan.
There are eight black bands going around the body. They are evenly spaced 1" apart. Plan ahead before applying any bands.
A line was drawn down the body for the thicker vertical band.
Pencil tick marks were made at 1" intervals down the vertical line.
A piece of paper was wrapped around the body for a straight reference line when wrapping the bands around the tube. At the top edge I did some pencil shading to better show the paper edge guide.

After the eight horizontals are in place, the long vertical strip will cover up the horizontal band seams.


There are plenty of "where do these go?" pieces.
The face card gives some locations, others were just made up.

In the end, the raised bands look good!

4 comments:

  1. I laughed when I noticed that your paint job is smoother than the one on the wall in the background. Well done, I wouldn't have thought that tan would look so good on a rocket.
    Matt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,
    My camera always wants to focus on the textured wall instead off the rocket. You should see how thick the texture is on the walls of the apartment in Mexico! (June, 2014 show contract)
    That finished Aurora body section came out pretty well.
    The glider - not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You appear to complete these rather quickly and with such precision. How do you keep the masking tape from leaving residue behind? I'm not having much luck. I'm using Scotch brand clear and sometimes blue painters tape. I've tried waiting a week between colors and even sticking the tape to my forehead to dull the tackiness of the tape with the oil from my skin but it still leaves a mark when I pull it off. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eddie,
      The surface has to be smooth and clean before laying down any tape. Scotch tape works best for me, I don't pay for expensive Tamiya or "boutique" masking tapes.
      The blue masking tape is better than the old brown masking tape.
      But the blue tape is really for latex and wall painting, not the best for modeling.
      After I spray the second color I pull the tape about 30-45 minutes after spraying. The second color is still tacky. I don't give the tape a chance to leave any residue. It's pulled off before the gummy stuff has a chance to release and stay on the model.
      Here's some earlier blog links on how I paint:
      http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/2013/04/my-finishing-schedule-tips-part-1.html
      http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.mx/2013/04/my-finishing-schedule-tips-part-2.html

      Thanks and good luck!
      Paint is just that, sometimes you get lucky.

      Delete