Friday, October 9, 2015

Bath Remodel, T.P. Holder, Part 1

Why is this on the Blog? A few reasons.
If I didn't build rockets, I wouldn't have the skill set, tools or patience to even try this.
I know how to wire a up a new light fixture because of what learned assembling an Electro-Launch when I was 13. I can smooth a bead of caulk as good as a handyman after doing a hundred fin fillets. Rocketry has taught me patience and how to trouble shoot.
You never know what you'll find when you have to open up a wall or replace a wall light. Usually its shoddy work that the builder has simply covered up.
These posts might inspire you to try a few home repairs on your own.
That and save a LOT of money.

I've been replacing the fixtures in my bathrooms. My townhouse is only ten years old but some of the bath fixtures are cheap and look like you've stepped back into the 1950s.

This is an old style ceramic toilet paper holder. The towel racks are also in this style.
Most T.P. holders and towel bars are held onto the wall with a metal bracket and setscrew. There's no setscrew on these. They are glued and set into a hole in the drywall!



With a chisel and hammer the TP holder was lifted out of the wall.
I'm still amazed at some of the poor workmanship on my home. Anytime I do a fix I try to leave it in better shape than before.

The cut square edges were crooked and the drywall edges broken up.
When cleaning up the edges I made the hole more square.
This is called a "California Patch".
You cut the drywall piece one inch wider (on all sides) than the hole. Mark the 1" overhang with a pencil line.
From the back, cut about 2/3rds the way through and crack it down the cut line. Pull off the 1" cut edge.
This leaves most of the front paper layer and gives you an overlap "gluing" edge.




Here's a dry fit of the patch in the square hole.

Drywall adhesive "mud" is spread over the edges and the back of the overlap paper edge.
The patch is pressed into the hole and burnished. See the picture in the next post.

4 comments:

  1. I've never been "handy," but I've been much handier since I started building rockets. I know how to use adhesives correctly, and I was able to make a D.I.Y. top rail for a window AC unit using aluminum angle (something I didn't even know existed before I built rockets).

    Rocketry IS educational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      Yeah, I'm always grabbing rocket building tools and glues for my home repairs.

      Delete
  2. What's wrong with stepping back into the 50s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      Nothing wrong with the 1950s look. It's just every bathroom had the same fixtures. About time for some variety.

      Delete