Friday, October 23, 2015

Magazine Rant

I got a letter from one of the airlines telling me I'd lose my accumulated frequent flyer miles after the first of the year. But I could redeem them for "Free" magazine subscriptions!
The trouble was, there wasn't many magazines I was interested in.
One of the few titles I knew was "People". But, the last time I was at the dentist office I didn't recognize any of the "People" in the magazine.

I read the descriptions and chose "Details" magazine.
The description implied: "A must-read for any man who wants to stay on top of current issues, while improving every facet of his personal life."

Instead I got a magazine that had 25 pages of ads before even reaching the Table Of Contents.
A fashion magazine? There were ads for expensive watches and groups of men in plaid jackets blankly staring at the camera. And, pages of men in their underwear.
I'm no prude, but I felt creepy paging through it.

I found the contact number online and called to cancel the subscription.
The call center was in Iowa. Iowa? I would expect this magazine to be home-based in New York.

I explained to the operator that the magazine was not for me.
She replied: "Well, it is very "Metro".
"Metro? That's the new word, I guess.

I asked her to cancel my subscription.
Save the trees! That, or print something worthwhile.
That reminds me, I'd better re-up my subscription to Consumer Reports.

2 comments:

  1. Metro is short for metrosexual. That was a buzzword a few years back. As far as I can tell it's the same thing Ray Davies called a "Dandy" back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm surprised that the call center is still in Iowa and not India, it makes sense that it is in Iowa rather than New York, since Iowa has become the center for a lot of publishing and printing. The printer I work for is based in Waterloo.

    ReplyDelete