Sunday, October 11, 2015

N.E.F.A.R. Monthly Launch, Bunnell Florida, October 10, 2015

Only one post today! There are 20 pictures below, six in the animated GIF. That should be a enough for anybody, including me. The Zooch Ares build will continue tomorrow.



I took the 1 1/2 hour drive to Bunnell alone today. Hot, overcast and a little bit of rain.

The sign on the left was on the Crumper family tent. I've got to get one of these!





First up for me was the Quest AEROSPACE ONE with an Estes D12-5.
In the coast phase there was a spiral in the smoke trail.
Parachute eject at apogee, around 700 feet.







At recovery I noticed the burn and blistered paint on the left rear side wing. The spiraling threw the engine flame to one side.
This was it's seventh flight and will probably be retired.


My Estes GUARDIAN was flown first with an Estes B6-4.
A textbook flight to 275 feet. All was well until touchdown. It drifted over the flight line.

Robb shows his dismay when it hung over the corner of his tent.








My best flight of the day was the Quest MAGNUM with a two Estes C6-5 engine cluster.

Once in a while I get the rod angle right. This one landed 50 feet from the launcher after reaching 654' on the Estes Altimeter.
Under one 14" Quest parachute there was no damage on recovery.









The clone of the Estes MINI SHUTTLE flew with a Quest German made B6-4 to 325'.
The inside of the tube is black with soot now.







Jason Cook flew low power today.
Here's his clone of the Estes Starblazer X-20 launched with a C6-5.
Great flight and a classic design.

Jason showed me the initials "N.H." on a decal. He thought it might be the designer. Does anybody know the designer's name?






Back at Scott Crumpler's family tent I saw his "Rocket In A Rocket".
That's a quest MMX Saturn V and mini camera in the clear payload section.






The Mylar parachute in my Red River Rockets STARLINER didn't eject!
After a good boost to 300' on a Quest B6-4, only the nose cone blew off at ejection. It was enough to slow it down, landing on the rear shroud.

No damage at recovery.




I did a double take when I read the name on Scott Border's Ascender. Clever and funny.
The booster was a composite F51, the second stage was a black powder F15-8.
Perfect flight with a long pause before second stage ignition.


My final sixth and final flight was the Estes GUARDIAN, This time with an Estes C6-5.
I should have taken Mike Orpi's advice on the rod angle. this one landed close to my car about 100 yards away.

The Estes Altimeter read 471 feet. The kit face card says it'll reach 700 feet! Is it me, or should this one have read a higher altitude?

Six flights, six recovered with very little damage. A great day!

3 comments:

  1. Did Mr. Scott Border offer up any information how he made that staging possible? I have never heard of someone staging a composite engine to a black powder one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lester,
      I have no other information on it. I should have asked a few questions. There was a delay after the booster finished and a coast before the upper stage ignition.
      If I see him next month I'll ask.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the writeup on the Starblazer I built. I still don't have a clue what the NH stands for on the decals.

    For video and photos of the Starblazer launch, use this link:
    https://www.insanerocketry.com/main/displayevent/5210362659218082131/

    For photo details of the actual building from scratch using a pdf of the 1980 instructions, use this link and scroll down to the photos section (about half way down)
    https://www.insanerocketry.com/main/displayevent/5210362659218082131/

    ReplyDelete