Monday, October 5, 2015

Dr. Zooch Ares I-X Build, Part 9, Clear Coats


The SRB (longer, lower wrap) is applied. Be sure to line up the seams.
Something I didn't mention earlier,
Before the glue sets you can mold the shroud edges into the larger body tube. Roll a burnisher over the edge for a smoother seam transition.
The laminated lug standoffs are thick. I sanded a slight contour on the root edge for a better gluing area on the BT-20 tube.

Wrap some 400 grit around an engine casing and sand a curve into the bottom.
TIP: Why use an engine casing? You'll get a better fit sanding over something with a slightly smaller diameter.





You should really give the wraps a good coat of clear. The paper wraps pick up dirt and oils pretty easily.
The lug gluing locations and exposed bottom tube are masked off .
After the clear coat dried and tape removed, the lugs were glued in place.

2 comments:

  1. Which clear coat product do you prefer on your models with paper wraps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eddie,
      It's Krylon clear acrylic, the only product I use from Krylon.
      Be sure to find the UV protect clear - Krylon UV Gloss Clear #1305.
      I also use the same stuff to spray my home print decal sheets.
      I don't clear coat finished models anymore. I only seal the decals with Pledge (with Future shine). Dip a Q-tip, wipe off the excess and use the wet Q-tip as a small brush over the decal.
      I've found that models (overall) sprayed with clear acrylic get sticky in hot, humid weather.

      Delete