Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Dr. Zooch Ares I-X Build, Part 11, Launch Abort System or LAS




The small LAS skirt and "party hat" are cut from the pattern sheet.
TIP: Cut the centers out first, it leaves you with more to hold onto.
Use sharp scissors, the inside arc is small.



Just like the larger shrouds, you can shape them in the heel of your hand. Use a smaller dowel on a small shroud.
The four LAS nozzles are made from fancy toothpick ends.
One of the four was shorter than the others. It doesn't matter, the ends are cut off anyway.

TIP: I usually draw angles on my work board for a consistent cut reference.
Afterwards I cut them even shorter, into the next wide band.





Using a small round diamond file, a concave curve was made in the base for a better glue joint on the sides of the LAS dowel.

4 comments:

  1. Drawing lines on the cutting board surface - brilliant. Why didn't I think of that! I usually cut on a piece of heavy brown card stock, like the backing from a leagl pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      I'd like to see the cutting angle printed on the instructions sheets. Easy enough to do on your own though.
      I use a plastic resealable cutting mat and cardboard flats cut from boxes too. Using the cardboard, after it gets cut and marked up I flip it over and use the clean side.

      Delete
  2. Holy crow, that's a tiny skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      There always seems to be a small skirt or nozzles in the Zooch kits. Scan, print, make up three or four and pick the best one.

      Delete