Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Estes QCC Explorer Build Part 1, Parts



This should be fun!
It's a much bigger model than I thought it would be. BT-60 based and plenty strong.
With a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby it's one of the better rocketry values today.

Parts of interest:
You can easily see the difference between the wood sheets.
On the left are the 3/32"" thick laser cut fins, probably tung wood.
Underneath and to the right of the long nose cone are the laser cut intake parts. These are cut into 1/16" (more flexible) balsa. The underside of the intake wall are curved under.

The decals for the intakes (long red triangles) are only "right sides", no left side decals.
They'll have to be transferred upside down then sealed with acrylic.

There's a 18" pre-assembled parachute and the orange D engine spacer. The model also flys with the longer E engines.
The long engine hook and 36" long rubber shock cord.

Upgrades on this build will include a replaceable Kevlar shock cord. No tri-fold mount on this one.
I'll also get rid of the finger tab on the engine hook.
The rubber band shock cord will be replaced by a longer length of 1/4" elastic.

After Build EDIT: This was a long frustrating build for me. It wasn't assembled in a few days. I glued together the intakes with no problem, But filling all the tab recesses took many applications of filler and sanding.
I'd work on it a bit then set it aside. Finally I gave in and resolved to finish it up.
Add to all of this, I built two at the same time. Twice the amount of filling and sanding!
In the end the work is worth it. An impressive, strong rocket.

6 comments:

  1. I'm perplexed about the intake decal issue. Is that what Estes intended? In any case, I'll be watching this one with interest, I think that rocket is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      The long red triangular intake decals require a right and left side.
      The decals in one of the two built kits only had decals for one side. Just to look at it you'd think they're correct. Estes didn't do it on purpose, just an error.
      The second kit had them copied and flipped correctly so I had one for each side. The correction has been made, but there are still a lot of kits out there with the wrong print.
      In a later blog post I'll cover how to correct it.

      Delete
    2. Ah, just glad to know the right decals actually exist. I presume Estes customer service would have sent the correct sheet if requested.

      Look forward to seeing how you worked around it, I never tried to mount a decal upside down before...

      Delete
  2. I'd heard about the kits with the reversed decals. The photo you have in this blog post appear to have the corrected decals rather than the incorrect ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I built two of the QCC Explorer kits at the same time. One decal sheet was wrong (only one side intakes) and the second decal sheet was correct (intake decals for both sides)
      The weird thing - both decals had the same manufacturer date imprinted on them! Both dated 02/16/12.

      Delete
  3. An image of the botched version of the decal sheet can be seen here:
    http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?28455-Estes-QCC-Explorer-Decal-Sheet

    ReplyDelete