Sunday, May 22, 2016

Centuri X-24 Bug Background

Here's one of the weird cardstock shroud model from Centuri, the X-24 BUG. This one was introduced in the 1972 catalog.
From the catalog description:
"Now it's easy to assemble your own model of the manned re-entry vehicle that makes a weird sound and smoke trail as it climbs into the sky. It's unique shape actually makes the X-24 glide back!

I had the Centuri kit back then. I never got a decent "glide" from it.
Check out the 1972 price - $1.00!
To see the catalog page, CLICK HERE

In 1993, Quest brought out their own version, the HL-20.
I bought one on Ebay and tried to fly it a few times. I never got an acceptable glide from it either. The Quest version had a streamer taped to the ejected engine. Two pennies inside some folded cardstock were used as rear trim weight.
Here's the Quest catalog page - CLICK HERE
The Quest HL-20 instructions - CLICK HERE

Here's a more recent kit version from Squirrel Works, the X-RV.
To see the catalog page - CLICK HERE

I'll be making my Bug from the online plans from JimZs.
To print it in the correct size, go with the available PDF CLICK HERE

The Centuri X-24 BUG build starts tomorrow! Printing it at home and using spare parts, it may only cost $1.00.

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be fun! My original X-24 was my favorite rocket back in the 70s - flew it many times - until it landed a charred mess. Tried to fix her up but she never glided right again. My X-RV was the first BAR build but I must have had some amazing luck as a 9 year old since it doesn't fly near as nice as the original Bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      My experience was the opposite of yours! I couldn't get the X-24 to work in the early 1970s. It took me 45 years to get a decent glide,

      Delete
    2. I had the X-24 Bug back in the day. It flew well and glided well. Never had a mishap with it. I lost it somewhere when my parents divorced.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Thanks for doing this! This just moved up to my next build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Scott!
      This was a fun one, a real out of the norm build.

      Delete