Sunday, May 15, 2016

Launch! N.E.F.A.R., Bunnell, FL May 14, 2016

Summer heat is here!
The first real warm day of the season, winds were up to 15 mph. Good turnout and the second rack of LPR pads were set up.

Here's two vintage models on adjacent launch rods.
Jim's BIG R2D2 was launched with a C6-3. It arced over and hit the grass before the ejection charge went off. I had the same flight path with an R2D2 in the 1970s.
My MPC MARTIAN PATROL with an Estes C6-3 flew pretty much like in the past. A fast spin on the way up to 350 feet. One styrofoam UFO hovered in, the other one tumbled.

I finally got a lifting body model to glide - sort of! 
In the 1970s my experience with a Centuri X-24 Bug was disappointing. The Quest HL-20 was not any better.
My newly finished Centuri X-24 BUG had a labored boost with a B6-2 and ejection at 100'. The "glide" was a little nose down but still a lifting body flight!
Everybody was a bit surprised, including me.
A little more clay stuck in the low back end should pull the nose up.
I'll keep an eye on the NEFAR website to see if Jimmy Yawn posts the flight video.


Steve Moon did a beautiful job on his Semroc (Estes) Trident.
Those thin red stripes around the centering rings are carefully placed trim tape.
Later that day Steve had a perfect flight with an Estes C6-5.


The next Odd'l prototype KOKOPELLI test flight used an Estes C6-5. Arrow straight boost to 600'.
The spill hole 18" parachute with the 15 mph winds took it over the fence and into the next field. A long recovery walk, but no damage.






Another prototype test flight with the Odd'l F-17.
This time I used an Estes C6-5. The boost had a slow turn to ejection at a respectable 700 feet.
Another long recovery walk.
The N.E.F.A.R. team tried something new this month.
Occasionally a launch is held while a plane circles the field. We often wonder if the pilot comes in close to watch a launch or two.
This giant "X" near the MPR pads was to warn the pilots to say clear of the field.
There were enough planes we had to wonder if the giant X was drawing them in!



My best flight of the day was the New Way A-20 DEMON.
Estimated altitude with the Estes D12-5 engine was 800'. The pickup walk was worth it. Minor damage to the leading edge of one fin.

Five flights, two good prototype launches and a first successful lifting body "glider". A good day worth the sunburn.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon,
      I also like reading about others launches, successes or not.

      Delete
  2. When will the KOKOPELLI be available? (And what does the name mean?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I've been trying to get permission to use the design. So far, no luck! The original was the Arapaho from Thrustline Aerospace. We'll see if it ever becomes a kit. I have too many other irons in the fire right now!

      Delete
  3. http://www.kokopelli.com/whowaskok.html

    You see the symbol all over the southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And don't forget the performance enhancing abilities of the kokopelli! (http://trailrunnernation.com/store/) The guys at Trail Runner Nation have a lot of tongue-in-cheek fun with the kokopelli symbol - I'm guessing it's good for at least an additional 50-75 ft of altitude when applied to a model rocket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Yeah, if you guess at altitudes like I do, I'll gladly add the extra 50 - 75 feet. I have flown the Kokopelli with an A8-3, but it is really best with a B6-4 and C6-5.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the kind words, Chris. Coming from you, they mean a lot. The Trident was a fun and challenging build. The result is a great looking and great flying rocket. The ding on the fin bums me, but I will fix it at some point. I am really liking the Semroc kits, except the nose cones. They take a ton of work with balsa fillercoat to get smooth and non-balsa looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had similar results with my Centuri X-24 BUG - The second launch put an end to mine. I think a redesign with the launch lug along the engine mount would resolve a lot of issues. All my saucers, spinners and pyramids fly fine (primarily Applewhite designs) on a center lined launch lug. I think I'll do the redesign with one of the new skins you posted. Thanks for the link to "the mole's" designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I have put the launch lugs down the center engine tube before on other models. On my two Bug launches it didn't have any problems going up the launch rod.

      Delete