Friday, May 27, 2016

Centuri X-24 Bug Build, Part 5, Body Shroud Forming



The instructions show pre-curling the shroud under a ruler or over a table edge. I've never got good results this way. I'll usually end up with a crease line in the shroud.

I could form this one over the heel of my left hand.
Even a shroud this large could be formed by pressing and rolling a dowel over the cardstock.
You have to trust me on this, try it and you'll never pull a shroud over a table top again.








You know you've done enough when the cone will stand up on it's own without being glued shut.
No creases or dents, just a smooth outside surface.

2 comments:

  1. Oh sure, now I see this! It took three or four tries to get a suitable "hat" for the old TLP Gecko I'm repairing. And even then I hated it, sanded it off and tried yet again!

    Enjoying your blog - regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Tim,
      Next time try the shroud forming in your hand. Be sure your hands are clean. For me it's a better way to form a smooth conical shape.

      Delete