Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Plastic to Kraft Tube Glue?

Anytime plastic glue is recommended for a tail cone to body tube joint I wonder if it is going to hold. Some new formula plastic glues are non-toxic and don't have solvents they used to.

I bought this Beacon Fabri-Tac glue at Hobby Lobby to do some fabric gluing. It contains acetone and it will break down most all plastics.

I recently used it on a plastic tail cone to body tube joint on the Kokopelli rocket. So far its a strong joint.
Here I used it to glue down a rubber strip on a cheap knock-off guitar capo. This is a rubber to metal joint. It worked and held strong!
It reminds me of the old tube plastic cement. When you pull the glue away there is a long string web from the glue joint to the tube.

Is this a good glue for the Estes Mercury Redstone tower? I don't think so. But for now I'd use it on two piece nose cone shoulders and tail cone gluing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I will get some the next time I go.


    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the glue now.

    My prior method was to apply a little tube cement to the inside of the body tube with a toothpick and spread a light coat where it will mate with the plastic part. After it dries, apply more cement and insert the part.

    Would it help to pretreat the body tube with tube cement when using this glue?


    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      I don't claim this glue is the "end all" of plastic glues, but it has worked really well for plastic to body tubes and some plastic to plastic joints.
      I don't think it is necessary to to a pre-treat. This isn't like a water based white or yellow glue where you can do a "double glue" joint. Apply a line of glue inside the tube and slide the plastic tailcone in place. Turn the tailcone as you slide it in and that will smooth out the glue and give a smooth bead internal fillet.

      Delete