Thursday, May 5, 2016

Engine Marking - TIP

With an engine installed you might have to guess what was prepped a month earlier. Normally I mark the paper igniter retainer with the engine designation. If an engine was friction fitted it's hard to pull it out and check it.
This engine is obviously a B6-4. The "E" stands for Estes made, the "X" tell me I have installed wadding.
I learned this trick from Bill Gibson at  NEFAR launch.
For the whole story, CLICK HERE


Recently I was prepping a Flutterby with a pyrogen dipped MMX igniter. These igniters don't have the Estes style paper retainer. A simple solution was to write the engine designation on the 1/4" exposed nozzle end of the engine.
I sent Estes a suggestion of printing the engine name on the last 1/4" end suggesting this might prevent launching an incorrect choice of engine. I never heard back from them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, this is a great tip and one I have used for as long as I can remember, although I never added the engine manufacturer info or if I had included wadding - something which I will now include.
    On one occasion after a busy days launching session a rather angry Range Safety officer approached me we a handful of used ignitors and plugs. " these are yours? tidy up after a launch please" A quick glance showed that no information had been added to the paper tabs. I knew they were not mine. I politely informed him that I do what I can to keep the launch area clear of debris, but cannot be responsible for everybody using my pad...
    He eventually apologised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Getting an apology from an angry RSO - good for you! Years back Centuri printed the engine designation all the way around the engine. You didn't have to hunt for it. Most all engine stick out the back by 1/4", why not print the engine power (B6-2, C6-5) on that back end?

      Delete