Monday, September 11, 2017

Apogee Shrockets Skonk Wulf Build, Part 15, Decals Over Flat Paint?

The olive drab paint was a flat finish. I've never seen a gloss olive drab paint.
I knew decals don't normally stick well to flat finish paints but my home print decals did adhere very well. The picture was purposely taken with the light reflecting off the decal.
This is a water slide decal, the kit comes with thicker, shiny sticker. Glossy stickers wouldn't work at all on a flat finish.
I figured I could spray some dull coat and the shiny decal would blend right in. I've done it many times before with good results.
With the humidity the clear coat fogged up!



I used some rubbing compound to take down the clear coat. The decals was peeled off.


The wing tip was masked off and shot again with flat olive drab paint. DONE!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I seem to remember That you used floor polish to gloss up a flat finish and allow better decal adhesion in the past.
    Alternatively Micro Sol/Micro Set has given me good results in preventing silvering on flat finishes. I know you don't like the high price for the small bottles, but you can get hundreds of applications per bottle. Just a brush swipe on the surface and one on the decal is all it takes. Only con is you cannot adjust the decal too much after application. Within a couple of minutes the decal is softened and "melted", and can easily be ruined with too much handling. Stay safe from Irma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      This model was built for a client and I was trying to duplicate the paint and decal pattern as designed by Shrox. In the past I've had good luck with the Testor's Master Modeler flat paint and decal adhesion - Not this time!
      I do have some Micro Sol products. Most of the recent Estes decals have adhered very well without needing them. Home print decals and kit decals react differently using decal treatments.

      Delete
  2. As I learned with my Mercury Redstone, never clearcoat when it is humid outside. That's how it got its aged look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi metal,
      I figured I'd give it a shot! I had such great results using matte clear coat on the recent Starship Nova build, but that was a light dusting of the flat clear.

      Delete