Monday, September 4, 2017

Launch! (Finally) Schoolyard, September 3, 2017

It's been a while! Burn bans and water soaked fields have led to cancelled club launches.
Thanks to Manuel I have some A8-3s to use. The soccer field is perfect for A engines in 1" diameter models.
No launch pictures today. Even though I had the camera set on the burst function, overcast skies and low light left blurry images.



The Centuri NOMAD clone went up first with an Estes A8-3 to about 200 feet. The chute had a spill hole so the recovery walk was short.

The Estes GALACTIC TAXI was flown with a Chinese Quest A6-4. I would guess the altitude to be 225'. No damage on recovery.






I usually don't see the "sticky smoke" until the Wintertime. The smoke did stay in the grass. You could scare it up with a stomp of your foot.







Why two pictures of the upcoming Odd'l Rockets F-104 STARFIGHTER? I launched it twice!

I've been wanting to do more test flights with the larger (and slightly heavier) wing tanks. Both flights were with two more Estes A8-3s to 200' and very stable.


I wish they all would recover this close! While descending I thought the F-104 might hang on the launch rod. I've only done that once in the 1970s. Still, close is good.
Last up was a C6-3! (I know, BIG power.)
I haven't launched the FlisKits PHEORD X-150 saucer since 2014. This is a draggy but fun model. The C engine probably only got it to 75 feet, loud and slow.
I had paper towels with me when it was picked up. It's important to dry off the dew from a card stock rocket. The model was wet and may dry with a few wrinkles. I'll just call them dents in the truck body.

Even though the altitudes weren't staggering, it felt good to fly a few. Five up, five recovered with little damage, just wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment