Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Estes Puma #7256 Build, Part 10, Masking Reveal






Here's the mask after the tape was pulled.

Everything looked great on the back end.

I've mentioned before, you can use Scotch tape to mask if your surfaces and fillets are smooth.





There was a small bit of orange pulled up on the left side of the strake.
On the underside of the winglet was another paint lift!
Touch-ups are needed. I don't want to mask and shoot this again.
That small smudge of dirt on the winglet will be cleaned off with a Mr. Clean magic sponge.

4 comments:

  1. what is your timing for removing the mask? How long do you let the paint dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bradley,
    I usually lift the tape an hour after the second color is sprayed. The paint is still tacky. Don't just pull the tape up and off. Lift the end, fold the tape back over itself and pull away from the mask line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I built two of these, I really like this kit and she looks pretty nice all done. The first one I glued the pods before painting and that was a challenge to mask. The second one I added the pods after painting, much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I read your build thread on TRF and took your advice about gluing on the engines after they were painted. Looking at the inside angles it would be difficult to get a good mask line at the underside joints.

      Delete