Monday, September 18, 2017

New Estes Kit?







From the Facebook page "Model Rocketry Fanatics", 
Chris Hooley posted this:

"I got a new toy. It's the beta test version of the Super Big Bertha. Can't wait to fly this beast. Question - Would y'all fly this on more than an F40 with the card stock engine centering rings and the BT-80 tube? Should I throw it on the rollers and epoxy it for strength?"







The fins look to be glued up lamination with the TTW tab notched like the fins on the Pro Series II Nike Smoke.

My guess is this is an upcoming Estes Pro Series II kit. Estes has the molds for the BT-80 Mosquito style nose cone. A Super Big Bertha kit was produced from 1989 through 1993.

8 comments:

  1. Just my opinion but, if flying this with composite motors I would think that plywood centering rings and epoxy are a must. I would also seriously consider using a BTH-80 main body tube instead, then check for stability after all modifications. I flew an Estes Sidewinder clone on a composite 18 mm motor and it promptly did a U turn and smashed into the road at ballistic speed. Apparently the motor mount had ripped off and went to the front causing it to CATO spectacularly. Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      In the Facebook responses somebody suggested some triangular gussets to strengthen the centering rings. That seems a good solution.
      You're not the only one to have an engine mount break loose and move forward on boost!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting! My two completed PSII rockets - there's more on the pile to build - fly great on Estes 29mm BP motors and I bet this will too. Plus, after this is released, there can be another Big Bertha/Ranger Fin Pattern History Debate !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      You can bet there will be more fin pattern debates. I find it interesting but I'm not as picky as some.

      Delete
  3. I scratch built one a few years ago - flys beautifully on D12-3, 2@C6-3, E12-4. Maybe I'll try the E16 next time... (It has removable/interchangeable motor mounts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      I'm curious how you did you interchangeable engine mounts. Do you have a forum link?

      Delete
  4. All Hail, John Boren!

    (Right? I think he's the Guy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Overeasy,
    John Boren is the guy. As I understand it, he is the only guy at Estes product and kit design.

    ReplyDelete