Saturday, September 23, 2017

Sport Rocketry Igniter Article

I picked up the mail today and the Sept./Oct. issue of the NAR Sport Rocketry Magazine.
I had submitted an article on beefing up the Estes Starter Igniters.
In the past I've had a some articles in the Apogee Peak Of Flight newsletter. This time it was in print!

The Estes clear tip starters are a lot like using old school bare nichrome. Starter ignition is slow and not practical for clustering.

I came up with an easy way to improve the reliability of the bare wire Starters without dealing with dip mixes that always seem to dry out.
With this method you coat the starter end with black powder. You make them up as you need them with no remixing of the liquid  dip coating.

After the issue has had it's run, I'll share the steps on this blog for those who aren't yet members of the N.A.R.

9 comments:

  1. Chris - quick question, have you tried your technique with Pyrodex instead of traditional black powder ? Not that BP is all that difficult to work with but for the average LPR/MPR rocketeer Pyrodex's higher degree of stability might make it a little safer to handle. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I went with what I had handy, the 4X black powder. I figured most who do dual deploy and also fly low power might have it.
      From what I've read, Pyrodex is a bit slower to ignite and I was going for a faster ignition.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps Estes will redo the next batch of ignitor tips since the current batch is so bad the clustering is no longer advised. They put clustering back to 1959 vintage nichrome and loose black powder ignition trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      I wouldn't count on Estes to go back to the black tipped igniters. Maybe that is one of the reasons Estes has no cluster kits for sale. Using bare nichrome is a lot like going back to (for me) 1969.

      Delete
  3. I'm wondering why Estes reformulated the coating on their igniters, and why Quest no longer sells Q2G2 igniters. Is it something to do with government regulations regarding the pyrogen? For now I'm redipping all Estes ignitors in Quick-Dip. While it does dry out after a few weeks you can reconstitute it with acetone and some elbow grease. This after a 50% failure rate on Estes ignitors on a launch recently. Also, I like to launch cluster rockets, up to the Cluster Duck and Hydra 7. Nothing like watching a seven motor cluster going up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      As I understand it, Estes is following new regulations. Quest had problems with getting the Q2G2 igniters from China. They wouldn't sell igniters separately from the engines.
      I also have some dip for the clear igniters. I wanted to come up with something easier and quickly accessible.

      Delete
  4. I used to get rid of excess As by firing 7 motor clusters using AG-1 flashbulbs and pyrogen cord. Those were the days.

    I could try safety fuse bundled up with thermite to get all of the fuses started but I still am not sure I will get a successful cluster launch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind about the thermite. It is hard to ignite and it can burn through steel and glass !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      I just looked that up and saw there it can be used for welding! Well, there goes your engine hooks and blast deflector.

      Delete