Saturday, September 30, 2017

S.P.E.V.?

On a YORF post, John Boren on Estes gave some insight into how some kits are named:













"Unless it's a scale kit or a bring back that uses a special length tube just about every design I've done for Estes uses Excess Parts or standard 18" long tubes. The name of the rocket can even reflect this such as EPM, (Excess Parts Model) followed by a number that may be the year it cam out. STM ( Slotted Tube Model ). Many time we pick a working name for the model while its going through the design and manufacturing process to have something to reference. Some times this temporary name becomes the final name."
John Boren

Above, on the left is the STM-012 or "Slotted Tube Model - 2012.
On the right, the EPM-10. Many thought that might be a SPEV, there were plenty of plastic 5 sized nose cones in that kit.





And this one - The JBR-013. Maybe not a SPEV, the naming was interesting.
On a forum we found out the JBR stood for John Boren Rocket. The"13" could be the year is came out or the body tube diameter of a BT-55.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I always struggle with naming scratch built rockets. I usually go for something mythological. One got named "Copperhead" because I finished painting it (black and copper) before it actually got a name.

    After my move to New England, I was working on a design that I called FMLV - First Massachusetts Launch Vehicle. But it was ugly, and never got finished. I finally changed the design, and now I need to pick a new name, as I've built tons of other rockets since moving to Boston.

    I know that here on the blog, you mostly do kits, but I wonder - what percentage of the rockets you build are your own design, and how you name them, Chris? Do you have any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel,
    I did an article for the Apogee Peak Of Flight about Design Inspiration and Rocket Names: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter400.pdf
    I would say one out of five models I build are my own design or a kit bash. Favorite names are the ones that fit the model like the Odd'l Wedgie or Break-Away. From a few years back I did a Black Bird Baked in a Pie. It was a two-stage model of a black Odd'l Birdie on a Squirrel Works Pie in the Sky model. Where I can, I like the name to reflect the characteristics of the rocket.

    ReplyDelete