Monday, September 11, 2017

Eye Of Hurricane Irma Now Near Orlando

UPDATE: 
I woke up at 11:00 a.m., not bad considering I was up until 4:00 a.m. We still have wind gusts to 30 mph. I walked the neighborhood and found trees down and lots of big and small branches in the street. There were shingles and some fascia aluminum pulled up. The Publix shopping center had a few awnings in the parking lot.
I was lucky, no lost shingles or broken windows. I never lost power or water. There is some light cleaning up to do.

My Sister Mimi sent me some Sham Wow towels as a joke Christmas gift. They come in very handy during the hurricane to pick up any water seeping in under the door. 
Pick them up when they get wet, wring 'em out and set them down again. My front door doesn't normally leak, it's just the rain is horizontal now.
It's 1:00 a.m. Monday and so far, so good. The lights have flickered but I still have power. In the morning I'll be able to better see if there is any damage.

In 2005 we had Hurricane Charley. I was living in an apartment then, waiting for my townhouse to be built.
When it got bad I got in the bathtub, they tell you that is the safest place in a hurricane. For the next few hours I heard the wind, rain and occasional loud bangs on the walls. 
In the morning I found out the bangs were terracotta roof tiles breaking off and hitting cars, windows and embedding in the walls. I still have one as a souvenir of the storm.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tim,
      Compared to South Florida I feel pretty lucky.

      Delete
  2. I hope you and your place came through OK Chris. We have no power, but everything else is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi metal,
      I never lost power or water, all the lines are underground. Typical hurricane damage here, trees down and some roof damage. Phone calls were spotty.

      Delete